Darrell V. and Carolyn W. Menscer established a permanent endowed fund to be used to provide resources to the Foundation for the costs associated with awarding the Menscer Cup. While chairing the NC State Foundation and co-chairing the Campaign for NC State Students, Mr. Menscer led University Advancement efforts through unparalleled enhancements to fundraising, endowment management, and alumni services. The Menscer cup will be awarded annually to an individual or family who best exemplifies the Menscers’ effort, leadership, and dedication.
Award Selection Criteria
- Any individual who has contributed to the University through outstanding philanthropy and/or fundraising leadership at NC State University is eligible.
- Award recipients may include but are not limited to present or past foundation chairs, University campaign chairs, co-chairs, Board of Trustees, or their families (living or dead).
- Award recipients should be individuals who have set high standards for future leaders to follow, and who have provided creative enhancements to fundraising, endowment management, and alumni services. One award may be given each year.
- Current university employees are ineligible.
Award Selection Process
- Nominations may come from anyone associated with NC State, including current and former foundation board members, college advisory board members, faculty, alumni, and administration. Nominations must include a detailed description of services rendered by the nominated individual and rationale for selection.
- All nominations will be submitted to the Awards Committee of the Foundation no later than June 1 of the award year.
- The committee will review the nominations at the spring committee meeting and submit a recommendation to the Chancellor.
- The Chancellor, Chair, and president of the Foundation will notify the individual(s) selected (or surviving family member) and seek his/her agreement to participate in (or send a representative to) the annual fall awards dinner to accept the Menscer Cup.
- The Awards committee may refine or modify the selection criteria to ensure that the most qualified individuals are selected each year.